b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew numismatics - modern

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew numismatics - modern
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 23:31:56 +0200

Sure,

It says, in both "modern" Hebrew square letters and in a stylized version of
Paleo-Hebrew script, LG)LT CYWN - "lege'ulat Tsiyyon" - "for the redemption
of Zion". Both the inscription and the design, a palm tree between two
baskets full of friut, are taken from coins minted in the fourth year of the
Jewish revolt against the Romans - 69 C.E.
The Paleo-Hebrew is dificult to read because it is not the "classical"
script of Iron-Age inscriptions, but rather an "artificial" version used on
Second-Temple Jewish coins from the Hasmoneans through Bar-Kokhba, prsumably
as a sort of statement of "national pride". It is very similar to what
became known as Samaritan script.

Yigal