b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: 22nd Psalm & 40th Psalm

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: 22nd Psalm & 40th Psalm
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 14:12:33 +0200

Hi Karl,

> I hesitated getting involved in this discussion because of its obvious
theological overtones. But there are a couple of linguistic notes to mark.

That's what we're here for.

> KRH as a verb seems to have the meaning of "to provide, to furnish".

Not that I see. Why "provide"?

>It does not specify how the provision is made. In the case of providing a
well, it is >done by digging, though the "by digging" is left out of texts
such as Gen. 26:25, Ex. >21:33. In Pr. 16:27 that which is provided is
displeasure.

There is no way that you can know what the verb Koreh in Pr. 16:27 means. "A
bad man _____ evil". Fill in the blank. "Provides"? Why not "digs"? or
"causes"?

>In Ps 40:7 it is ears that are provided. In this I agree with you.
KRH would not have been used for the heart. It is used for ears, since they
are cavities that God "dug" in our bodies.

> K)R in Ps 22:17 (16 in English) is in the place where one would expect to
find a verb, as you mentioned below. As for what it means, there is too
little context in Tanakh to give a certain understanding. As the text
presently stands, the meaning "as a lion" does not fit. Are there any clues
from cognate languages?

"Lion" does fit the general context of being surrounded by beasties, but not
the syntax. Maybe the verb was lost: "As a lion, they _____ my hands and
feet"?

Yigal

> Karl W. Randolph.