b-hebrew - Re: [b-Hebrew] 22 nd Psalm

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "David Kimbrough (CLWA)" <dkimbrough AT clwa.org>
  • Cc: "'b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-Hebrew] 22 nd Psalm
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 15:37:54 -0800

On 21/11/2003 15:13, David Kimbrough (CLWA) wrote:

Thank you for a fascinating explanation. However there is one part I did
not follow, the reference Psalm 40:6. I had indicated that I believed that
Psalm 22:16 was the only time a word derived from the root "karah" was
translated as "pierce". If I understand your response, you indicate that in
Psalm 40:6 a verb (KRYH) is used in the sense of "pierce" with the object of
the verb being the ear. While the verb is indeed derived from "karah", I
have checked many English translations and this word (KRYH) is universally
translated as "open", specifically along the lines of "you opened my ears",
rather than "you pierced my ears". ...

NIV has "my ears you have pierced".

... It does not seem to be used in the sense
of "piercing the earlobe to allow the use of earrings" but rather in the
sense of "digging out the earwax so I can hear".

Not for earrings, I agree. The meaning could indeed be removal of earwax, but I find the link to Exodus 21:6 rather likely, with the meaning "you have made me your servant for life", linking with Psalm 40:7,8.

Your translation of the ketib as "my hands and my feet are like the lion" is
very interesting but what do you suppose it means for one's hands or feet to
be like a lion? ...

I consider this meaningless, and so I prefer to understand "they pierced".

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)