b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Other languages in the Tanakh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Other languages in the Tanakh
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:08:57 -0500

Peter:

Didn’t you just libel me? Or is it just your opinion, which makes it not
libel?

As for BDB, they were students of Gesenius, and Gesenius was a member of the
German rationalist school of the early 19th century. From what I have seen of
that philosophical school, particularly as it pertains to their treatment of
the Bible and ancient Israel, I don’t see how it is not anti-Semitic.
However, this is a “platonic” anti-Semitism that does not advocate violence.
Is there anything in this paragraph that is not accurate?

As I wrote earlier, I do not have access to BDB’s dictionary, so I was
relying on previous posts to this list as a basis for my response. If
otherwise, then how is my response inaccurate? It fits the philosophic
pattern.

Karl W. Randolph.