b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] elohim, meaning and referents

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "beb" <beb AT tolstoy.freeserve.co.uk>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] elohim, meaning and referents
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 08:59:23 -0000

Can anyone help me in a matter of meaning and referent with the word
ELOHIM(Forgive me if I have not transcribed this correctly for this list)?
My questions are: Does this word have a 'basic' meaning and if so what is it?
Secondly, when we look at such lexicons as Brown-Driver-Briggs-Gesenius and
it mentions "judges" and "angels" is this indicating the _meaning_ of the
word or its _referent_ in any given Biblcal scripture?
In anticipation of your help,
Rebecca E Barnard