b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] meaning of XWT

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Noam Eitan <noameitan AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] meaning of XWT
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:32:36 -0800 (PST)

>However, when looking at the context of the nouns, the two occurances in Job
>and the >one in Numbers 32:41 refers to the same thing,

Job 38:14 uses xwtm (chotam), and the context is that with daylight the earth
is like the material for a seal or for a signet ring (basically wax) - it
takes a new form; In 41:15 it is the same xwtm (chotam), and the context is
that the Leviathan's (crocodile?) scales overlap and fit together like a seal
(like a sealed letter). Neither has anything to do with XWT, it has nothing
to do with what Numbers 32:41 refers to.

>while I’ll agree upon more careful checking the context that the other two
>come from >“seal(ring)”. In all three cases, the noun has a third person
>plural suffix and in the case >in Numbers the noun is plural as well.

Ezekiel 28:12, Haggai 2:23, Job 38:14, 41:15 all are in simple noun form,
they do not have a third person plural suffix. Numbers 32:41 is the only one
that does have a third person plural suffix.

>When I look at the contexts of the name “XWT Y)YR” I noticed that they were
>listed as >cities, not just encampments. Is this a holdover from an older
>name, sort of like “Fort >Laramy” and other such names in the U.S., or does
>it refer to something more than just >a military encampment?

I don't know if there is a clear answer. It is not strickly a military
encampment, it can be any small settlement. I would like to speculate that it
comes from the root xwh because it refers to any settlement with livestock
(xwh - the root for life, Eve was the mother of all living) - FWIW in modern
Hebrew xwh means a farm.

Regards

Noam