b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Grammar with Discourse Perspective?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Julie Devall" <krena_li_mara AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Grammar with Discourse Perspective?
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 22:52:30 +0000

Hello all,

I am a seminary student, and have been recently reflecting on the steep learning curve involved in learning Hebrew. The teachers at my seminary use Weingreen, but I see students who are so intimidated by the time they get through the discussion on the vowels that they feel Hebrew inaccessible. I had Hebrew at LSU as an undergraduate (*hi Charles* I was one of Stu's students) and used the First Hebrew Primer (translating Biblical Hebrew fairy tales "Three Little Pigs" etc). At some level I feel the simplicity of the primer eased my existential angst about learning Hebrew (especially as an elective...) But imagine the shock of transitioning to Jouon-Muraoka in my 2nd year Hebrew! Now I love Jouon, but can't recommend it to struggling students...

But at the Masters level is there not something that will get students beyond fear and trembling... Is there a grammar which would actually teach from the discourse perspective, and not focus so much on forms which hardly occur? Something which would ease the learning curve by getting the students into texts earlier?

Thanks,

Julie

Want to check if your PC is virus-infected? Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963