b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Accent

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Trevor Peterson <06PETERSON AT cua.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Accent
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 13:54:07 -0400

>===== Original Message From "Pere Porta Roca" <pporta AT tinet.fut.es> =====
>Forgive me for my ignorance.
>
>The word 'taqiymnah' (Jer 44:25): which syllable does the tonic accent fall
>on: 'qiym' o 'nah'? (In my bible both syllables carry an accent)

This particular accent must always be written on the last syllable (ultima).
If the actual accent in the word appears before the ultima, the accent is
written twice. So, if you see it more than once, read with the stress on the
first accent mark and ignore the second. In this case, the stress in
penultimate.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics