b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Vocalization of wnr)h 1Sam 1:22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: CS Bartholomew <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Vocalization of wnr)h 1Sam 1:22
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 21:26:40 -0700

Karl,

Note the following places where r)h is followed by )t pny yhwh

Ex. 34:24
Deut. 16:16
Deut. 31:11
1Sam. 1:22

Do you see r)h as a qal here? No, they are all nifal. I could not find any
examples of r)h in qal followed by pny yhwh.

Also note that the Vulgate supports the MT:

1Sam. 1:22 ... et appareat ante conspectum Domini et maneat ibi iugiter

The vulgate uses the active form appareat to render the niphal r)h where the
LXX uses the passive ophthesetai. Both render the sense of the MT but of
course the MT didn't exist so we can push the date of this "reading" back a
long time before the MT. Robert Alter seems to imply that the MT
vocalization can be set aside here because the MT is late. But the reading
in question isn't late.

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew