b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Elohiym has a Hireq Yod in the M.T.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Penner" <pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca>
  • To: "'David P Donnelly'" <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Elohiym has a Hireq Yod in the M.T.
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 10:01:47 -0400

> I assume that there are no Dead Sea Scrolls that have vowel points,

Right. Although the Cairo Damascus document (CD), which is often included in
collections of the Dead Sea Scrolls, does have some vowel points.

> in the Dead Sea Scrolls, does Elohiym have a Yod,
> which is being used as a vowel-letter for the vowel "i"?

Accordance shows that Elohim always has a Yod before the Mem in the
sectarian Dead Sea Scrolls. I'm not sure about in the biblical texts, but I
expect the same there.

> If in the Dead Sea Scrolls,
> Elohiym does have a Yod,
> which is being used as a vowel-letter for the vowel "i",
> is there any older extant Hebrew text,
> where Elohiym is written without a Yod?

Gogel's "lexicon" of epigraphic Hebrew indicates Elohim does not occur in
that corpus in the absolute form (with the Mem). However, the word does
occur in the construct state, in "your God" and "God of", with the Yod (and
without a Waw, by the way), but of course without the Mem.

Ken Penner, M.C.S. (Biblical Languages, Greek Focus), M.A. (Hebrew Poetry)
Ph.D. (cand.), McMaster University
pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca
Flash! Pro: http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/westerholm/flash or