b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] frequencies of accents

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Bearpecs AT aol.com
  • Cc: biblical-languages AT lists.ibiblio.org, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] frequencies of accents
  • Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 03:32:17 -0700

On 04/09/2003 20:14, Bearpecs AT aol.com wrote:

I'm toying with using Keyman to build a customized Hebrew keyboard and am at the point of deciding where to put the ta`amim (accents).
1. Are there any frequency studies of which accents occur more and which less often?

Good question! And one which I have a tool available to answer immediately. Here in fact is a list of all the characters used in the Unicode edition of BHS which I have. (The tool generates also a list of up to ten references for each character, but I have omitted that to save space). Note that $ is used for puncta extraordinaria, N for inverted nun and Q and [...] to mark Qere, as a temporary matter in this edition. I know the frequencies of meteg, rafe and some other marks vary a lot from edition to edition.

Character Count
[0020] 291515
[0024] $ 53
[004E] N 3
[0051] Q 1150
[005B] [ 1150
[005D] ] 1150
[0591] ֑ 21464
[0592] ֒ 618
[0593] ֓ 46
[0594] ֔ 25177
[0595] ֕ 1647
[0596] ֖ 38974
[0597] ֗ 12527
[0598] ֘ 211
[0599] ֙ 14650
[059A] ֚ 13637
[059B] ֛ 7676
[059C] ֜ 7019
[059E] ֞ 1699
[059F] ֟ 16
[05A0] ֠ 1194
[05A1] ֡ 934
[05A3] ֣ 40906
[05A5] ֥ 32754
[05A6] ֦ 14
[05A7] ֧ 3243
[05A8] ֨ 8235
[05A9] ֩ 1481
[05AA] ֪ 245
[05AB] ֫ 407
[05AC] ֬ 181
[05AE] ֮ 809
[05AF] ֯ 1325
[05B0] ְ 149522
[05B1] ֱ 4458
[05B2] ֲ 25444
[05B3] ֳ 616
[05B4] ִ 108406
[05B5] ֵ 58789
[05B6] ֶ 75087
[05B7] ַ 116672
[05B8] ָ 151119
[05B9] ֹ 73494
[05BB] ֻ 4341
[05BC] ּ 169807
[05BD] ֽ 41079
[05BE] ־ 42529
[05BF] ֿ 12
[05C0] ׀ 1731
[05C1] ׁ 46062
[05C2] ׂ 12083
[05C3] ׃ 23191
[05D0] א 95672
[05D1] ב 65207
[05D2] ג 10079
[05D3] ד 32368
[05D4] ה 101943
[05D5] ו 129584
[05D6] ז 9116
[05D7] ח 27589
[05D8] ט 6309
[05D9] י 137848
[05DA] ך 13944
[05DB] כ 33517
[05DC] ל 88284
[05DD] ם 41279
[05DE] מ 57637
[05DF] ן 15238
[05E0] נ 39845
[05E1] ס 9610
[05E2] ע 44802
[05E3] ף 2553
[05E4] פ 16909
[05E5] ץ 3285
[05E6] צ 11688
[05E7] ק 16276
[05E8] ר 68052
[05E9] ש 58189
[05EA] ת 63201

2. Are there any frequency studies showing which accents occur most often with individual letters? individual vowel points?

With the same tool I was able to generate a list of base character and diacritic combinations with their frequencies and references. As it is quite a big file (432 KB zipped HTML) I will send it to you off list, together with the list of individual characters and their references.

Thanks very much.