b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Aramaic numeric signs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Trevor & Julie Peterson" <06peterson AT cua.edu>
  • To: "'Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Aramaic numeric signs
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 18:01:36 -0400

I checked into this a little while ago. I didn't find anything in-depth.
The World's Writing Systems has a chapter on numerals, and there was a
book referenced in that chapter that I can't remember offhand. It's
basically a history of numbers and has some material on the numeral
system in Aramaic. (I had to wander over to the engineering library to
find it.) If I remember right, it's actually borrowed from Egyptian, so
you might try looking for something on that.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics

Elephantine