b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Exodus 3:7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Daniel Walin <danserve4x AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Exodus 3:7
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 20:37:04 -0700 (PDT)

My knowledge of Hebrew is still rather limited, so
please bear with me if I ask stupid questions. I
apologize for not transliterating the Hebrew, but I am
unaware of the system used by the list.

I am puzzled by the use of suffixes in Exodus 3:7.
The suffixes in question are:

1) The 3rd masculine plural suffix on "cry"

2) The 3rd masculine singular suffix on the participle
which I must assume is something like "oppressors" or
"taskmasters" substantively

3) The 3rd masculine singular suffix on "pains"

Now, my first question is whether all three of these
suffixes refer to the "my people." Perhaps I am
mistaken about this, and if I am that might explain my
question.

If all three uses of the suffixes do in fact refer
back to the "my people," why is one suffix plural
while the other two are singular? Is there a reason
for this, or is it a grammatically inconsistent aspect
of the language?

Thanks,
Daniel Walin