b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] RE: Mesha & Moshe

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] RE: Mesha & Moshe
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 18:56:17 -0500

How do we know that the princess in question was not a Hyksos princess, who
spoke a semitic language similar to Hebrew, hence Moshe derived from “to draw
out”?

The Biblical chronology gives a mid 15th century date for the Exodus, which
rules out Rameses being the pharoah of the Exodus. I have long suspected that
the pharoah of the Exodus was Hyksos from other clues in Exodus and history.
If my suspician is correct, then the whole discussion trying to relate
“Moshe” to an Egyptian root is moot.

Mesha (MY$() is clearly from “to save”.

Karl W. Randolph.