b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Psalm 40:6 Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Psalm 40:6 Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 01:06:47 +0100

Concerning question #2: The Rahlfs edition of LXX actually prints as the
text (2nd line of 39:7):

WTIA DE KATHRTISW MOI (you prepared ears for me)

with a marginal note:

WTIA Ga] SWMA BSA: cf. Hebr 10:5

i.e. the reading SWMA (body) is in Vaticanus, Sinaiticus and Alexandrinus,
the three great codices, but the reading of Ga is WTIA (ears). Unfortunately
I can't find the meaning of "Ga" - it may imply a conjectural emendation.

I note that although Rahlfs' LXX inlcudes conjectural emendations, the
standard Greek NTs do not. Since Floyd Jones who you refer us to makes a
tendentious and untrue allegation (at
http://www.floydjones.org/ebooks2.html) that "The editors of the dominant
eclectic Greek text of today have... in dozens of places they have printed a
text not found in any known Greek copy!", I am not inclined to read this
author further - although his comments on LXX on that page do look
interesting.

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/