b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Miracle of the Quail article (Nu 11:31-35)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Miracle of the Quail article (Nu 11:31-35)
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 21:32:00 +0100

On the contrary, Jim. Walter's article (did you have time to read it?)
implies the unhistoricity of the account. It implies that it was made up by
someone well after the event who knew in general terms about quail being
toxic - presumably a well known phenomenon - but got mixed up on a lot of
the details: the location, the time of year, how quickly the poison acts
(not while they were still eating but minimum one hour later), and who it
would kill (not large numbers of the strongest men but only a few of the
elderly).

If we assume historicity, at least for the sake of the hypothesis, we see a
rather different and more coherent picture. The Israelites, having lived in
Egypt for hundreds of years, would have been well acquainted with quail as a
food source and would have known well that those arriving from the north in
autumn are poisonous. But when they came across quail arriving in spring on
the shores of the southern sea, as the account states, they would have
expected them to be edible - and all the more so as they had eaten quail at
the same time the year before without ill effects, Exodus 16:13 - both are
dated to the second month, counting the Passover as the first month (Ex
16:1, Num 10:11). So it was a surprise to them that these quail were toxic,
and so seriously so that they killed strong men within seconds. There may be
no obvious medical explanation, but none is needed because the explanation
is given in the text, the anger of YHWH.

People of faith will recognise that the creator God can put people to death,
and bring them back to life, as he chooses - though they may struggle with
the ethical questions of why he sometimes decides to do so. While sometimes
he uses scientifically describable means to do such things, he is certainly
not bound to.

People without faith will I hope at least recognise that this is not a forum
to ridicule those of us who do have it.

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/