b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Throne KS) Isa 6:1, Ezek. 1:26,10:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben and Jo Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Throne KS) Isa 6:1, Ezek. 1:26,10:1
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 00:55:24 +0100

On Mon 5 May 2003 (11:13:12), cc.constantine AT worldnet.att.net wrote:
> Ok, no chairs but perhaps something like an arm rail to hang on to.
> What I was trying to discover was a throne with wide flat arms,
> providing a bench like surface suitable for supporting objects of
> moderate size. In all the images I have seen so far from ANE sources no
> such throne has appeared. The thrones with arms have only narrow rails
> with no flat surface at all.

The Hittite chariots must have been like a "buck-board" with only a
handrail at the front for support.

I have here DJ Wiseman, /Illustrations from Biblical Archaeology/,
The Tyndale Press, London, 1958. On p 75 is a cylinder impression
showing Darius I of Babylon hunting from a 2-wheel chariot. There is
a box-like body to the chariot, with the driver at the front controlling
the single horse with a pair of reins. The king is standing behind the
driver's seat, drawing a bow and arrow, wearing a crown upon his head.

On p 77 is a picture of Darius seated on a chair-like throne, with young
Xerxes standing behind him. The Chair appears to be an ordinary wooden
chair without arms, but with a footstool. Darius is holding a long sceptre
in his right hand, and a drinking vessel in his left. Xerxes is also
holding a drinking vessel in his left hand.

On p 63 there is a relief of Sennacherib King of Assyria sitting on a
similar wooden-looking throne, receiving offerings of spoils of battle.
Sennacherib's throne has low armrests at elbow height, and a footstool.

On p 27 the throne of Marduk is depicted. What the god is sitting upon is
not easy to see. It looks like a church pew with a book-rest in front.
Hammurabi is receiving from him his symbols of authority.

As ever,

Ben
<ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk>
http://www.cnetwork.co.uk/crick.htm