b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: Hebrew Words

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Carie Slonimski" <carieslonimski AT eudoramail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: Hebrew Words
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 20:00:28 -0600

Thank you to everyone who provided assistance!! I very much appreciate your
help!

Carie

Check out the new EudoraMail at
http://www.eudoramail.com
From: "Peter Kirk" <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
To: "'B-Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] SBL transliteration font?
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 09:44:59 +0100

Try the (older) SIL Hebrew Font System at
http://www.sil.org/computing/fonts/silhebrew/. This includes a
transliteration font, SIL Heb Trans, which has what you want, or at =
least
nearly all of it.

There isn't a transliteration font with the newer SIL Hebrew Unicode =
Fonts
at http://www.sil.org/computing/fonts/silhebruni/. But then there =
doesn't
need to be, for all the transliteration characters you need are included =
in
standard Unicode fonts, even Times New Roman, though you do need to =
compose
a few characters yourself for some transliteration schemes e.g. p macron =
and
g macron. By "compose yourself" I mean e.g. type a p then select a =
combining
macron (U+0304) from the symbol list. Or you could set up a keyboard =
(e.g.
with Keyman from www.tavultesoft.com) or conversion routine to do this
automatically. But with this approach you can get good results with =
standard
fonts, using a Unicode aware word processor like Word (97+) or =
OpenOffice.

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/