b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] baccar l- "in distress"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben and Jo Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] baccar l- "in distress"
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 22:31:22 +0000

On Fri 7 Mar 2003 (08:02:06 +0100), andrew.wergeland AT mf.no wrote:
> I am reading Is 25:4 and have come to the expression "baccar l-" about
> the person in need: when he is in distress. HALOT says this baccar is
> a form of the intransitive nuance of the verb crr (tsade resh resh):
> to be cramped. Is it thinking inf. cstr.?

The phrase in question is Ma`oWZ La'eB:YoWN BaCCaR-LoW
(YHWH has proved Himself) a refuge to the poor in-his-distress.

BaCCaR-LoW can be taken as shorthand for BaCCaR 'a:$eR LoW, "in the distress
which is his". CaR or CaRaH is a narrow or a tight place, a "scrape", a
distressing situation, with prefix B: plus the definite article. Instead of a
pronominal suffix, it has the predicative [a:$eR] LoW.

The word recurs in Isaiah 26:16 BaCCaR P:QaDuWKa "in this distress they
missed you", also with the definite article, as a demonstrative.

Isaiah 63:9 B:KoL-CaRaTaM LoW CaR (qere; kethib Lo') is interesting. Taking
the qere we have "in all their distress, the distress [was] to Him".
Compare this LoW CaR with BaCCaR-LoW in 25:4.

Isaiah 33:2 ends B:`eT CaRaH "in time of trouble".

Does this help any?

Shalom
Ben
<ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk>