b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] RE: Exodus 3:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jason Hare <jhronline AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] RE: Exodus 3:14
  • Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 18:39:56 -0800 (PST)

Lew,

I know that you've already gotten a few responses.
Personally, I think there is merit in what the KJV
translators have done. This would be based on the fact
that HaShem has given )HYH )$R )HYH [ehyeh asher
ehyeh] as a name in response to Moshe's question:

WY)MR M$H )L-H)LHYM HNH )NKY B) )L-BNY Y&R)L W)MRTY
LHM )LHY )BWTYKM $LXNY )LKM W)MRW-LY ****MH $MW**** MH
)MR )LHM
Vayomer Moshe el-ha'elohim, "Hineh anochi va el-bnei
Yisra'el v'amarti lahem, <<Elohei avoteichem shlachani
aleichem.>> V'amru-li ****<<Mah shmo?>>**** Mah omar
alehem?"

And Moshe said to God, "See, I am coming to the sons
of Israel, and I will say to them, 'The God of your
fathers has sent me to you.' And they will say to me,
'What is His name?' What shall I say to them?"

The answer, as we know was EHYEH ASHER EHYEH. So, this
was intended as an identifier and not as a way of
dodging the question, IMO. That is why I would think
the capitalization of the phrase in English
translation would be justified.

Thanks,
Jason Hare

http://sbc.yahoo.com