b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Exodus 3:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lew Osborne" <osbo AT hn.ozemail.com.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Exodus 3:14
  • Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 08:49:42 +1000

Greetings

In Exodus 3:14 we have the well known phrase hyha dva hyha (ehyeh asher
ehyeh) which has been loosly translated as 'Iam that I am". The Oxford
Study Edition The New English Bible, in a footnote brings this translation
in line with the margin notes of Moffatt, Companion Bible, English Revised
Bible NIV and most others when it gives a more correct translation as "I
will be what I will be".

The question is, is there any authority in the Hebrew to place this phrase
in capital letters as it is done in the KJV.

Thank you in anticipation.