b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] god of the strong (Dan 11:38)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT ozemail.com.au>
  • To: "'b-hebrew list'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] god of the strong (Dan 11:38)
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 11:27:35 +1100

I see that BDB classifies this word MF(OWZ under the root (WZ although
noting "MT sfs. as if from (ZZ, but prob. erron.", thus suggesting a
sense related to (WZ "take or seek refuge" rather than (ZZ "be strong".
Of course the difference is a subtle one, and a fortress is both a
strong place and a place of refuge. Also we must be careful to
understand the word according to its usage rather than its etymology.
But it does suggest that the gloss in the subject line "the strong" is
rather speculative.

For the sense "fortress", see also Is 23:11,14, cf.v.4, Ezk 24:25,
30:15, Dan 11:7,10,19,31,39. There seems to be plenty of evidence in
this chapter alone where the context strongly indicates a sense like
"fortress".

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/