b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] shin-dalet vs. dalet-dalet

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Cohen, Izzy" <Izzy_Cohen AT bmc.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] shin-dalet vs. dalet-dalet
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 07:52:03 -0600

ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick) wrote:
> $eD means an idol; Deuteronomy 32:17; Psalm 106:37; LXX DAIMONIA.
> $aD means a mammary gland or teat of an animal or a woman; hence
> possibly a goddess. Hence possibly a swelling?
> $uWD or $aDaD means to lay waste (Psalm 91:6).

I think that shin-dalet SHaD/SHoD = female breast
is the older spelling with the newer sound ... and
that dalet-dalet DaD = teat, nipple, breast is the
newer spelling with the older sound.

That is, after the sound of the shin changed from
a dental D/T to SH, this word was respelled (or
borrowed back with a newer spelling) so that it
continued to have nearly its original sound. I
call this the "Old Whine in a New Bottle" phenomena.

The older sound DaD is probably cognate with teat,
tit, titer, and titrate (drop by drop). Measuring
liquids drop by drop was probably first used to
measure the milk production of dairy cows (if not
humans). Archimedes (287? - 212 B.C.E.) used it
to measure the quantity of water displaced by a
(possibly pure) gold crown.

>From a cognitive linguistics viewpoint, one
would expect the term for (human) breast to
exist before a term for the concept of
"swelling".

BTW, the geographic area called [T]Chad in
north Africa probably represents the breast
[of Aphrodite]. Her heart is north of Chad in
LiBya (compare LeB). North of Libya is her
backbone at the Gulf of Sidra (compare
Talmudic Hebrew SHiDRaH = spine, backbone).

Libya (LeB) may have been loan-translated into
Latin as Cyrenaica. Compare Latin cor = heart.

Send me an email off-list if you want a chart
the describes the remainder of Aphrodite's
body-part map.

Regarding shin-dalet words for irrigation:

shadoof (shä duef') n.
a device used in the Near East for raising water,
esp. for irrigation, consisting of a long suspended
rod with a bucket at one end and a weight at the
other. [1830-40; < Egyptian Ar shaduf]

dosh kham,
Israel Cohen
izzy_cohen AT bmc.com

  • [b-hebrew] shin-dalet vs. dalet-dalet, Cohen, Izzy, 02/03/2003