b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Off-Topic Question for Jewish List Participants

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "VALEDICTION" <info AT valediction.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Off-Topic Question for Jewish List Participants
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 10:26:58 -0500

This post is horribly off-topic, so please forgive me.

As a hobby, I've spent a lot of time over the past few months digging for
clues into my family history... and my studies have paid off as I have
learned many things that I did not former know about my genealogy, and I
have established contact with some of my living family members who I didn't
even know existed a few months ago.

There is one avenue that I've had a bit of difficulty with... and that's
discovering the name of my Grandfather's mother... I don't even know what
her first name was. In fact, the only recollection that I've been able to
gather from my Grandfather's half-sisters is that his mother was of Jewish
descent.

I don't know the exact location of my Grandfather's birth, but I have pretty
good idea of the general vicinity... it was most likely in Connecticut
(USA), somewhere in between Darien and Bridgeport (there's approximately a
15 mile range in between the two cities).

What I'm wondering is if there may, perhaps, be any likelihood that a local
synagogue of that era (he was born in 1923) may have record of my
Grandfather... perhaps from a briss ceremony or some sort of baby
dedication. My problem is that I'm not very familiar with Jewish synagogue
tradition to even know whether they would normally save such records in the
first place. The other problem is that I'm not sure under which faith he
was raised... his name was Stedman John Glean, so his middle name seems to
indicate that he may have been a Christian, in which case I guess he may not
have necessarily been circumcised.

Incidentally, he's been missing since about 1950, just seems to have
vanished off the face of the earth (like Enoch). ;-)

Anyway, I'm hoping that someone here who's familiar with Jewish tradition
may be able to help me out, or at least point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

Joe Glean --junior member--