b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Grammar Texts Question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "spyropoulos constandinos" <spyrcon AT otenet.gr>
  • To: Sψren Holst <sh AT teol.ku.dk>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Grammar Texts Question
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 09:22:34 -0800

Dear friends,

Greetings to all of you from Athens, Greece.

"Sψren Holst" <sh AT teol.ku.dk> wrote:

> > Now I am using ... a Grammar of SHAOOL BARKALI (Kale'ko).
> > publishing house of Reuben (Reouven) Mas - Jerusalem
> Is that his three volume "Dikduk ivri mudrag" ? ... I thought that was for
> modern Hebrew (probably just my mistake?)

I am sure that it is that of the three three volume "Dikduk ivri mudrag" but
they refer to both Biblical and Modern - Israeli Hebrew. A great variety of
exercises, reviews, vocabularies, etc etc. I have found all of the three
volumes very interesting. I do not know if they are out of stock. For modern
Hebrew there used to be, of the same author - SHAOOL BARKALI (Kale'ko) -
publishing house of Reuben (Reouven) Mas - Jerusalem, a small book with the
title "HEBREW for everyone" (for English speaking people) and "L' HEBREU
pour tout le monde" (for French speaking people).

I have also been using his great noun and verb tables also in Hebrew. They
both refer to the Biblical and Modern - Israeli Hebrew as well. Five small
but very practical and useful tools (books) for Hebrew at accessible prices
apart from the traditional Lexicons, Grammar book and Concordances of Avraam
Even Shoshan (Kiryat Sefer - publishing house - Israel).

Regarding the Biblical and Modern - current Greek I think that by using the
searching machines (AlTAVISTA COM, YAHOO COM and others you will find
something interesting. At the present time I have not anything special to
suggest. Perhapes later on. For the time being I know that a well famous
bookshop (KOSMOS or COSMOS) in Athens and other greek towns is selling
Greek teaching books for non Greek speaking people. The traditional Grammar
and Syntax books I know are for the Greek natives (everything is in Greek).

Finally, as I mentioned in my previous email, for English speaking people,
there used to be a wonderful introducing Biblical Hebrew Grammar book and a
second one for advanced Hebrew learning people of MENAHEM MANSOOR - BAKER
PUBLISHING HOUSE - USA. A great variety of exercises, reviews, vocabularies,
a great grammatical and syntactical analysis of the first chapters of
GENESIS. I have found both of the books very interesting years ago although
I am not an English speaking person. I do not know if they are out of stock,
neither.

Best wishes to all of you.

Spyropoulos Constandinos

Athens, Greece