b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Deut 32:5 SHiCHeT

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "watts-westmaas" <watts-westmaas AT zonnet.nl>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Deut 32:5 SHiCHeT
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 23:17:26 +0100

I had always read 'LO' (lamed-vav) after a verb (especially one that
intensifies) as meaning 'HIS' or 'HIM' or 'TO HIM' and in this verse
'corruption is his' and to follow 'NOT his children's' which theologically
makes no sense. In deut 9:12 you read literally: 'corrupted are your
people' (they became corrupted) I know I'm making a bit of a mess here but I
often become a little confused by the lack of consistency in biblical
hebrew - THAT or my complete lack of understanding.

Once again needing some clarification on this whole sentence, that is of
course if you still retain patience for a novice. Chris