b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] regarding the root fallacy

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "VALEDICTION" <info AT valediction.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] regarding the root fallacy
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 13:41:32 -0500

> Do you mean he was connecting meanings of individual letters to meanings
of
> words, or was he dealing with roots (three-consonant combinations with
meaning
> that relates to the meaning of words)? If it's the former, I'd be
interested
> to know what some of his examples were, but it is something different from
> what we've been discussing.

Well, as I recall, he was dealing with both the meaning of the individual
letters as well as certain letter combinations... by the way, I found the
link I was looking for...

"Hebrew: The Letters Tell a Tale" by Rabbi Yehuda Silver...
http://wwwc.catalog.com/cgibin/storemaker?id=172171202175452163615&action=pa
ge&page=spirituality/default.html

Here's the example/teaser they have posted on the order screen:
"Hebrew was once considered a 'dead' language. It was revived by the
pioneers that resettled Israel. In fact, the letters themselves represent
the reality we live in better than any other language. The Hebrew word for
dog is kelev. 'Ke' = like the; 'lev' = heart, and presto 'man's best
friend.' Discovering the makeup of Hebrew letters uncovers the meaning
within the word."

I also have a book on this subject, which I have not yet read, but it is in
my library...

"The Wisdom in the Hebrew Alphabet" by Rabbi Michael L. Munk

By the way, I think this book is still in print from ArtScroll, though mine
is an old used version.

Joe Glean --junior member--