b-hebrew - Re: tsemach as "the Branch", Zechariah 3:8, 6:12, Jeremiah 23:5, 33:15

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: tsemach as "the Branch", Zechariah 3:8, 6:12, Jeremiah 23:5, 33:15
  • Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 20:57:52 -0500

At 04:31 PM 12/25/02 -0500, you wrote:
Shalom b-Hebrew,
Wonder if any of our experts would like to comment on the translation of
tsemach as "branch" as compared to "spring, sprout, bud, grow". Shoot is
another word used that is sorta inbetween these various usages, acting as
one definition for sprout and also it is a definition for branch..

The meaning is simple. In Hebrew literature we find the four levels of creation as:
Dom; Tzema'ach; Chai; M'Dabar, meaning Silent (i.e. inanimate) Growing, Living Speaking. tzemach refers to something that is growing, a plant or anything of that nature. (Remember that English is not Hebrew.)