b-hebrew - RE: Eze 23:34 "to gnaw its earthenware"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_R_Kirk AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Eze 23:34 "to gnaw its earthenware"
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 20:03:24 +1100

This sounds to me like a picture of someone so determined to get every
drop of liquid out of a cup that they try to suck the liquid out of the
porous earthenware itself - in the same way that a dog might try to suck
the goodness out of a bone by gnawwing it.

Is it still viable to understand GRM piel, following BDB, as "break
(bones)" rather than "gnaw", here and in Numbers 24:8? This is obviously
preferred by several of the modern versions you cite.

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/