b-hebrew - RE: Gap between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_R_Kirk AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Gap between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 13:41:57 +1100

Joe, to correct your facts, the rebhia (at least in the BHS text in
front of me) is on the first word of verse 2, not the last word of verse
2 which, like the last word of every verse, is accented with silluq.
This implies a slight pause after (not before) that first word,
W:HF)FREC "and/but the earth". Perhaps we could think of translating
"And/but as for the earth, it was..." though this is probably too strong
in English. I wish I could, but I can't, comment further on the
implications of this.

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/