b-hebrew - RE: Repetition in Numbers 7:12-83

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <pzellmer AT sc.rr.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Repetition in Numbers 7:12-83
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 19:38:09 -0500

Pertaining to the second part of your question, a lot depends on what
significance such repetition has in the target language and what basic
translation guidelines you have set. In the Filipino language group among
which I work, the repetition was not objectionable to the speakers, although
it was much more than they normally use. And the target groups specifically
requested that we be very careful about predigesting the texts so that the
expositors in the meetings would have the full responsibility to determine
what meanings various forms bring to the passages. If I had a question like
your first one, and if leaving the form alone did not bring some
significance to the text in the target language, I would acknowledge my
limited knowledge and leave the repetition in just in case there was a role
that I did not know about.

Just my thoughts on the matter, and, yes, we left the repetition in the
Numbers 7 passage.

Paul R. Zellmer