b-hebrew - Zechariah 6:13 - and he shall be a priest upon his throne

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Schmuel <schmuel AT escape.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Zechariah 6:13 - and he shall be a priest upon his throne
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 22:12:19 -0500

Shalom b-hebrew,

Zechariah 6:13 (KJB)
Even he shall build the temple of the LORD; and he shall bear the glory,
and shall sit and rule upon his throne; **and he shall be a priest upon his throne**:
and the counsel of peace shall be between them both.

Sincere Thanks to
Trevor Peterson (excellent answer..and for catching my silly preposition/pronoun error, apols)
Yohanan (Shane Christian).. good translation, word for word..
Marko Jauhiainen (excellent writeup, deep and cogent)
Maurice A. O'Sullivan (the tense part)

You have all helped me (and Maurice...Young's Literal I will be more careful with)

Allow me one mini-more-followup, pwetty-pwease :-)

===============
One difference sorta remains, we understand all the contextual issues pretty good.
===
We asked
> does *and he shall be a priest upon his throne**
> equally allow for both possibilities, "he shall be" or "there shall be"

Trevor
I would say so.
(The implied subject in this case is masculine singular, which works for an
unspecified subject or for the person who's already in view.)

====
And Marko has the "he" usage in his translation..
"And he will be a priest on his throne". .... with a slightly unique interpretation :-)

=====
while Shane has
and there will be a priest beside his throne,
First, there is "w'hayah" which translates "and there will be".

Shane, would you agree that...
"w'hayah" can also translate as "he will be" ?,

And that it is simply more a contextual issue than a literal one ?
ie, the Hebrew is ambiguous and is valid either way .. depending on interpretation

====

Are there any other elements to consider ?

Thanks so much :-)

Shalom,
Steven Avery
Bayside, NY