b-hebrew - Targum, Psalms 97:11

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bearpecs AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Targum, Psalms 97:11
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 23:23:15 EST

This is somewhat off-topic so I'd appreciate off-list replies.

The Septuagint, Peshitta, and Vulgate agree in translating Psalms 97:11 as if it read )WR ZRX ['or zarah] instead of _WR ZR( ['or zarua`].  But the Targum has an addition:  NHWR DNX WM+MR LCDYQY).

Can someone suggest where I can get an elaboration about that WM+MR?  Does it in fact mean "hidden away" as I have guessed?  Is the Targum referring to a midrash about the light of creation before the sun was created being put away until the end of days?  Do any other translations have a similar addition?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Hayyim

  • Targum, Psalms 97:11, Bearpecs, 10/29/2002