b-hebrew - Re: 1QM 13:3 ywdŒy b¹rk =mwnh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: c stirling bartholomew <cc.constantine AT worldnet.att.net>
  • To: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • Cc: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 1QM 13:3 ywdŒy b¹rk =mwnh
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 20:28:19 -0700

on 10/26/02 3:05 PM, Jim West wrote:

> when i was in college i took spanish. one day someone (a guy) in class said
> he was "embarassado"..... those of you who know spanish know how unlikely
> this is. i learned at that very moment that similarity does not = unity. i
> apply that "occamite razor" to all such comparisons and view them with an
> almost jaundiced eye.
>

> At 02:30 PM 10/26/02 -0700, CSB wrote:
>> John Painter* finds in:
>>
>> 1QM 13:3 ywdŒy b¹mwnh
>>
>> a relationship between believing and knowing, which he thinks resonates
>> with
>> a similar theme in the Gospel of John.

Hi Jim,

I am also just a little skeptical about this. Painter doesn't really develop
this idea, just a passing comment. He is also very guarded about any notion
of direct dependence of John on Qumran. I am not really arguing with Painter
here. The translation is what threw me. Painter uses Vermes but does not
quote him verbatim. Here is M. Abegg:

1QM 13:2 . . . Blessed is the God of Israel for all His holy purpose and His
works of truth. And blessed are
1QM 13:3 all those who serve Him righteously, who know Him by faith.

The last part "who know Him by faith" ywdŒy b¹mwnh,
looks kind of out of context in 1QM, doesn't it? I hear Martin Luther
nailing his 95 theses to the door.

My question is, given what we know about 1QM, what are some of the options
for understanding this expression?

thanks, clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew