b-hebrew - Off-Topic Question about Covenants

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "VALEDICTION" <info AT valediction.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Off-Topic Question about Covenants
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 07:36:53 -0400

Hello all...
Someone once told me of a specialized procedure which was implemented during the ratification process of a covenant, back in Biblical times.  In preparation for this process, an animal (or animals) would be cut into half-pieces and arranged on the ground with space in between each piece.  Then each party would walk in-between the pieces of animal as they would publicly affirm their agreement with each other, using the ceremony to give witness of their covenant.

In the Bible, I've found only two possible references to such a procedure, Genesis 15:9-21 and Jeremiah 34:18-20.

Does anyone know of any other possible references, canonical or non, where I may find more information on this subject?  I'm particularly curious to know whether or not the Mishnah has anything to say about such a procedure.

Thanks... any assistance would be appreciated.

Joe Glean --junior member--