b-hebrew - Re: hebrew tense/aspect?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: decaen AT chass.utoronto.ca, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: hebrew tense/aspect?
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 10:13:52 EDT

In a message dated 10/23/2002 9:46:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time, decaen AT chass.utoronto.ca writes:

dear experts on hebrew tense and aspect,

can you tell me what tense (past, present, future) and/or aspect
((im)perfect(ive)) the following is, for the verb "believe"...

"they appear not to have been able to believe"

i assume this is 3pl, and a negative. maybe appearative mood ...?

Not to set myself up as an expert, but I think anyone would need to have more information than you have provided.  Do you have a particular passage in mind?

gfsomsel