b-hebrew - Re: Alcoholic Beverages in BH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: "Martin A. Shields" <mshields AT mail.usyd.edu.au>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Alcoholic Beverages in BH
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 10:00:20 -0400

At 10:57 PM 8/26/2002 +1000, Martin A. Shields wrote:
>> I have just read a recent article proposing that Qohelet 10:1 refers to the
>> process used to make beer in the aNE. To my knowledge, however, there is no
>> word for "beer" in BH in spite of the apparent antiquity of beer
production.

>Of course, in case you were going to try and follow the recipe, I meant 11:1
>and not 10:1 (please do not drink anything made with dead flies).

I somehow doubt that "casting bread on water" means beer. As far as I know,
"shekhar", which often appears together with "yyn", is usually understood
to mean beer, mead and other fermented beverages.

Dr. Yigal Levin
Dept. of Philosophy and Religion
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
615 McCallie Avenue