b-hebrew - RE: alliteration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Andrew & Debby Kulikovsky <hermeneutics AT kulikovskyonline.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: alliteration
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 23:44:49 +0200

On 05:26 PM 24/08/2002 -0400, Trevor & Julie Peterson wrote:
> I know alliteration is quite common in Hebrew poetry (eg. Ps 119)
> but is it
> unique to poetry? Does anyone know if is used in Hebrew narrative? Any
> examples?

Are you sure you've got the right term? Do you mean alliteration or acrostic
(both of which are in Ps 119, BTW)? Ps 119 is normally noted for its
acrostic, and while I don't know of anywhere that it appears in narrative,
it does appear in some prose prayers used in the Jewish siddur. As for
alliteration, I wasn't aware that it was "quite common" in Hebrew poetry,
which is what makes me think you may mean the other.

Trevor I _was_ referring to alliteration. Most textbooks on genre state that one of the characteristics of Hebrew poetry is alliteration.

cheers,
Andrew
--
Andrew & Debby Kulikovsky
Check out my Biblical Hermeneutics web site:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?