b-hebrew - RE: PSA 95

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Trevor Peterson <06PETERSON AT cua.edu>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: PSA 95
  • Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 13:32:19 -0400

>===== Original Message From "Paul W. Traub" <ptraub AT juno.com> =====
>Two questions:
>
>1. The KIY begining verses 3 and 7 seen best translated "for" meaning
>"because" and providing a reason for the preceeding acts of worship.
>VanGemeren suggests "truly!" making the verses exclamatory hymns (EBC
>p.618). Enns sticks with the "for" but needs each to connect with his
>creation/re-creation theme ahead of cultic function. This may be minor
>but it seems to effect the interpretation for the original reader/hearer.

I don't see any reason to suggest some other meaning than the normal
connective. The pattern of praise and explanation seems reasonable to me.

>2. ':A$ER at the begining of verse 9; "where" or "when"??? If "when" is
>reasonable, is it also reasonable to begin the voice of God here and end
>the voice of the psalmist at 8? Or, does the connective nature of the
>word demand linking it with the antecedent clause in 8?

I'm not sure what difference the meaning "where" or "when" would give. It
seems like mostly a translational choice, not really having much to do with
understanding the passage as it stands. I would expect that voice of God to
begin in v. 8, since I don't see how asher could do anything here but link
the
verses together.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics

  • PSA 95, Paul W. Traub, 08/01/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: PSA 95, Ray Clendenen, 08/02/2002
    • RE: PSA 95, Trevor Peterson, 08/02/2002
    • RE: PSA 95, Trevor Peterson, 08/02/2002
    • Re: PSA 95, George Athas, 08/04/2002