b-hebrew - RE: hu=hi?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Trevor Peterson <06PETERSON AT cua.edu>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: hu=hi?
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 13:41:18 -0400

>===== Original Message From Polycarp66 AT aol.com =====
>There is no mistaking Is.
>30.33 and Job 31.11. 1 Kg 17.15 has both HW.) and HiY) which where has
>been felt necessary to repoint each in order to reverse the order!

Yes, there are places throughout the OT where the Masoretes have recognized a
mistake in the consonants; and it's understandable that some such mistakes
would creep in, considering the similarity between yod and vav. But I don't
think textual corruption is a reasonable explanation for what we find in the
Pentateuch. If anything, your examples from Job 31 and 1 Kgs 17 point to the
difference between what we find in the Pentateuch and these instances--both
passages show examples of hu written as hi, which is not part of the
perpetual
K/Q in the five books. It may not be worth mentioning, but I think the
Masoretes also saw a difference, in that they chose to provide the consonants
to read outside the Pentateuch.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics