b-hebrew - RE: The daughter of Jeftah died?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: soren AT enteract.com
  • To: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: The daughter of Jeftah died?
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 16:30:43 -0500

Since there is no a priori reason why the story of Yiftah could not be true
(no
snakes speak to women and no donkeys to men), neither you nor I have any real
basis for thinking it historical or otherwise. Perhaps someday someone will
find a pre-exilic text. All we can say is that a post-exilic author (since
the
Exile is mentioned in Judges--see the story of Dan) presents these as
historical stories. Beyond that, one must try to find reasons why s/he would
make these sotries up out of whole cloth