b-hebrew - Re: initial waw

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ewan MacLeod" <macleod_ewan AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: initial waw
  • Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 15:42:33 +0000

In narrative sections of the Bible it seems to be an almost universal rule that sentences would start with vav+VSO - e.g. the Law is full of sentences starting with things like vayomer, vayikra, vayavdel elohim, etc. So sentences that start without the vav are probably few indeed - I can't think of any without searching for them.
Nevertheless, for learning purposes, you have to start somewhere and jumping straight into the Torah can be very daunting without a few 'made-up' sentences to help you. Years ago I got some Jewish booklets which were intended to be a bridge to reading the Torah - they presented the early chapters in Genesis with easier Hebrew, which made it much easier to read Genesis for real later.

Ewan MacLeod