b-hebrew - Re: Bethlehem: Alviero Niccacci

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Alviero Niccacci <alviero.niccacci AT studiumbiblicum.org>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Bethlehem: Alviero Niccacci
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 06:20:17 +0200

At the moment there is a documentary on Italian television
which features the Vatican Padre David Maria Jaeger, the
Vatican spokesperson for the Holy Land, who has explained
that the Franciscans at Bethlehem, amongst whom is Alviero
Niccacci, have been denied water and food and electricity.
Jaeger, who was refused access to Bethlehem, but spoke to
people there by phone was extremely disturbed by the state
of his students and colleagues at Bethlehem.

(I post this not for any political purpose, but to give
information about one of the list's members.)

Thanks, Ian, for caring to inform about this. Yes, the situation is so tragic that any dispute on responsibilities appears irrelevant. However, I can assure you and the list members that I live safe in Jerusalem, Old City, thank God. However, about 30 of my fellow Friars, together with some Nuns and other Christian Monks, are enclosed in Bethlehem in the conditions described above. May God help both Israelis and Palestinians come out of the impassse, seen that diplomacy is helpless.
Best wishes,
--
Alviero Niccacci
Studium Biblicum Franciscanum