b-hebrew - Re: Is R)$YT even a "time" word? (Paul)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Is R)$YT even a "time" word? (Paul)
  • Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 06:06:52 +0100

>Sorry, Ian, but you're wrong again. I have read Rashi. I have looked at
>the JPS. I recognize that both take the position of BR) being infinitive
>construct. Please don't jump to conclusions of other's experiences.

Then why do you say that I'm the only one supporting
the position?

>Do you really think that we don't understand your positions? "Where you are
>coming from" is a common English idiom that speaks of one's rationale.

I have asked for a coherent position from you. You
have only given negative positions.

>On the other hand, you have chosen to ignore very clear explanations on my
>part of the literary structure of the first few verses of chapter 1,

What I remember from you was an attempt to divert
br'$yt from its time locative role parallel to
that of both bywm and b`t, by redefining r'$yt out
of the context of the b-. I found it arbitrary
and I didn't understand how you could propose it
on strictly philological grounds.

I remember you accepting that br'$yt was a when
and that v3, was the first creative act.

>which
>are consistent with the literary structures throughout Hebrew prose and do
>not require a complex object, much less a complex clause structure.

How does this relate to the literary structure of the chapter?

>And
>your follow-on post concerning the creation or non-creation of chaos appears
>to ignore a very clear statement on my part that I agree that Genesis does
>not address this.

Why then don't you think of using other literature
which reflects on the subject (either from the time
or before it)? Is it wrong to use a source which is
a close parallel to the part from thwm to the
division of thwm into the two waters above and below?

>Are you really asking for a faith statement from me?

No. I am asking why you understand what you do when such
an understanding seems to make many complications.

>That would have to be the only way that I could answer that post.

All I want is a coherent philological approach to the text.
Nothing more.

And you did not answer what you meant here:

>>>I really think we all know well by now
>>>from where you are coming.

What do you mean?

>Goodbye, Ian.

Night, Paul.

Ian

  • Re: Is R)$YT even a "time" word? (Paul), Ian Hutchesson, 03/30/2002