b-hebrew - RE: Is R)$YT even a "time" word?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Is R)$YT even a "time" word?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 10:55:19 +0300

No, LXX is not useless! You make the decisive point yourself: "They were
simply translating what was before them". What was before them (in their
reading tradition) was BARA' not BERO'. And they, as Hebrew speakers of
the 2nd-3rd century BCE (at least that seems to be the consensus
dating), understood BERE'SHIT BARA' 'ELOHIM as "In the beginning God
created..." not "In the beginning of God creating...". We have the
testimony there of Hebrew speakers from long before the time of Rashi.

The Vulgate is similarly useful, for Jerome translated from Hebrew with
the help of Hebrew speakers and so his translation is based on their 4th
century CE understanding of Hebrew, also well before Rashi. Does anyone
have the Vulgate text available to check?

Peter Kirk

past
> tense, meant to indicate the undefined nature of the Hebrew finite
verb
> BFRF) [bara] that they were dealing with. In other words, EPOIHSEN =
> BFRF) [bara]. They were simply translating what was before them, not
> discussing the syntactical function of the possible construct nature
of
> B.:R")$IYT [bereishit] -- and hence the requiring of a
substantive-like