b-hebrew - RE: bereshit

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Ian Hutchesson'" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>, "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: bereshit
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 09:35:00 -0000

Ian, if you really want to talk about only verse 1, independent of its
context on the basis that it is a self-standing unit, why did you offer
to Paul the following translations of verses 1-3 in which verse 1 is
syntactically linked to verse 2? If verse 1 is not a separate unit, it
can only be understood in its context, which is what I was discussing.
But I am not going to do so any more.

Your proposed renderings, which are not my preference but not
impossible:

At the beginning of God's creating the heavens and the
earth, when the earth was without form and empty, and
darkness over the deep, and as the wind of God hovered
on the waters, God said, "Let there be light"...

or

In the beginning when God created the heavens and the
earth, when the earth was without form and empty, and
darkness over the deep, and as the wind of God hovered
on the waters, God said, "Let there be light"...

Peter Kirk