b-hebrew - Egyptian "ey" adjectives and Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Matthew R. Miller" <biblicalscribe AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Egyptian "ey" adjectives and Hebrew
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 13:02:39 -0500

In my Egyptian hieroglyphic studies, I have come across the "ey"
adjectives. These are, in essence, long, substantival descriptions, which
are read as simple adjectives, as I understand them. For example, the
phrase "his possessing all of the foreign lands under his arm" would
simply be translated as "Conqueror," as a title, or simply as the
adjectives "victorious" or "powerful." My question is, is there any
evidence of these in biblical Hebrew? I wonder about, for example, some of
the names of monuments and wells in the Hewbrew Bible. For example, "be'er
l'chai roi," or "be'er sheva." Does anyone else have any more information
about this phenomenon? Thanks. Matthew R. Miller

  • Egyptian "ey" adjectives and Hebrew, Matthew R. Miller, 03/12/2002