b-hebrew - Re: The analysis of Deut 30:1-3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Moon-Ryul Jung" <moon AT sogang.ac.kr>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The analysis of Deut 30:1-3
  • Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 10:05:29 -0500

Trevor,
based on your post, I think you would prefer the rendering of NRSV, which
seems to be the majority reading.

> [NRSV] 30.1 When all these things have happened to you, the blessings and
> the curses that I have set before you, if you call them to mind among all
> the nations where the LORD your God has driven you,30:2 and return to the
> LORD your God, and you and your children obey him with all your heart and
> with all your soul, just as I am commanding you today,30:3 then the LORD
> your God will restore your fortunes and have compassion on you, gathering
> you again from all the peoples among whom the LORD your God has scattered
> you.

The question comes down to: we do have cases of We+HaYah Ki^ + S1
We + S2, where S2 is a conditional statement?

Even if there are such cases, I would like to argue for my reading for
the following reasons:

From the viewpoint of content, this passage talks about the eschatological
blessing of God in which God will circumcise the heart of the people. The
passage predicts that the people will not obey the Law of God, and thereby
will be scattered into the nations. So, the point of this eschatological
promise is that at last the people will turn to God and obey his Law.

Moon
Moon R. Jung
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea