b-hebrew - Re: w+x+yqtl in a sequence of weqtl's

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "S. L." <lyosovs AT cityline.ru>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: w+x+yqtl in a sequence of weqtl's
  • Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 20:17:31 +0300

It seems to me that you are speaking about Galia Hatav, an Israeli/USA
author, in that case it is 'she' rather than 'he'. Or am I mistaken? Could
you please give me the bibliographical reference?
About this wX yqtl in the promise context: I would call this kind of
verbal chains 'narrative about conditioned/stipulated future', as against
narrative about past events, because usually the coming about of this future
sequence of events is conditioned by some injunctive verbal form or its
semantic equivalent: 'Do this, so that/in order that something happen(s)
...' or 'do this, and then so-and-so will happen'. The shift from wqtl to wX
yqtl in Deut 30:8 can be explained simply as accompanying the change of
subject: wnatan 'and YHWH will give', - and as far as you are concerned -
w`atta: ta:$uB w$a:ma'ta: 'you will listen once more'. If the writer
needs to insert X between waw and the verbal form in this 'future
narrative', he uses wawX yqtl, exactly as wyqtl sequence gives way to wX
qtl in the past narrative.
Sergey Lyosov