b-hebrew - Elohim surely a plurality

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Banyai Michael" <banyai AT t-online.de>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Elohim surely a plurality
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:29:56 -0500

I read in Eusebius of Cesareas short resume of the religion of the old
Phoenicians, following Sachunaton:
"The allies of Elos, otherwise known as Chronos, got the name Elohims, in
the way as those who would have taken their name from Chronos, would have
be named Chronids."

Everyone can comment on the subject. But we can not ignore it in the
ongoing discussion.

For me does this quote of Eusebius mean that Elohim is often a plural, and
means than the minor gods subordonated to El.

All the best,

Bányai Michael

  • Elohim surely a plurality, Banyai Michael, 01/29/2002